West African Power Industry Awards to celebrate region’s top professionals and projects again
Power industry encouraged to nominate sector’s best
AA – The coveted West African Power Industry Awards boast a brand-new, respected line-up of industry judges this year and the organisers are inviting the industry to nominate their top power professionals and projects.
Last year saw the hugely successful launch of the awards which were announced at a five-star gala dinner during the 12th edition of the West African Power Industry Convention (WAPIC) in Lagos. This long-running, regional conference and expo, will once again gather government, utilities, consultants and investors to discuss the challenges of local markets, capacity building and investment from 24-25 November in the city.
During last year’s sold-out evening, industry pioneers and projects were recognised and celebrated, and the award for Outstanding Woman in Power was presented to Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigerian Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, former Nigerian Power Minister Prof Bart Okechukwu Nnaji was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award while Ughelli Power won for the Power Transaction of the Year.
This year’s West African Power Industry Awards categories:
Awards in seven different categories are up for grabs again this year and the industry can nominate potential candidates:
- Power Transaction of the Year
- Best Off-Grid Electrification Project
- CSR Initiative of the Year
- Excellence in Power Generation
- Excellence in Power Transmission or Distribution
- Lifetime Achievement – Regional Award, West Africa
- Best Renewable Energy Project
A high-level industry panel of judges will decide on the final winners, confirmed so far are:
- Lolu Adubifa, MD/CEO, Lavayo Energy, Nigeria
- Ferguson Tobins, Former Co-Director, TCN, Nigeria
- Sibylle Haase, Head of Unit Renewable Energy, GIZ, Nigeria
- Engr Oladele Amoda, MD/CEO, Eko Disco
- Ifey Ikeonu, Ag. Chairperson, ECOWAS Regional Electricity Regulatory Authority, Ghana
- Robert Dickerman, MD & CEO, Enugu Electricity Distribution Company
- Engr A Adebisi – Director (RRPA), Ministry of Power, Nigeria
- Adedamola A. Adegun, Gas Commercial, Planning & Commercial, NPDC Limited, Nigeria
- Ezekiel Adesina, NLNGPHC, Nigeria
To download the nomination form, go to: http://www.wapicforum.com/nominations
Industry and government support
Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Power has enthusiastically endorsed WAPIC and once again the event is enjoying overwhelming support from the industry with the global networking and telecommunications giant, Huawei, having already confirmed that it is returning as the exclusive diamond sponsor.
The WAPIC expo floor will showcase the latest technologies and services for the industry while the free technical workshop programme will offer practical solutions, lessons learnt from case studies and problem-solving mechanisms to assist power companies and utilities in improving their efficiency and productivity.
The West African Power Industry Convention is organised by Spintelligent, leading Cape Town-based trade exhibition and conference organiser, and the African office of Clarion Events Ltd, based in the UK. Other flagship power events by Spintelligent are African Utility Week in Cape Town and EAPIC in Nairobi.
WAPIC dates and venue:
Masterclass: 23 November 2015
West African Power Industry Awards: 24 November 2015
Strategic Conference days: 24-25 November 2015
Expo: 24-25 November 2015
Site visits: 26 November 2015
Venue: Eko Hotel & Suites, Lagos, Nigeria
- Previous EBRD launches Women in Business programme in Egypt
- Next Afrimat buys Cape Lime, another strategic acquisition to boost diversification